Administrators can use this topic to register (i.e. create logins and user topics) for a group of people in one batch.
Unlike normal registration the administrator is assumed to have correct e-mail addresses for the users, so no verification is required.
Note that the new users are not notified that they have an account. This is so you can prepare and verify the accounts before announcing them.
To announce them use the Bulk Reset Password
feature: this will assign a new random password and notify users.
Bulk Registration usage
Note: this is an administrator job - only admistrators can run this.
If you are administrator, you will take these actions:
- (First time use) Create new bulk registration topics (see Settings below).
- In the REGISTERTOPIC (Unprocessed Registrations) topic: create a table of new users. An example table is provided below to copy.
- Return to this topic and press the "Bulk Register" button to create the new topics.
- Read Unprocessed Registrations Log to verify if all has gone well.
- Visit Wiki Groups if the new users need to be added to any groups.
- When you are ready, use the Bulk Reset Password page to assign passwords and notify the users of their new accounts.
Below are the details.
- Define where to pick up the table of users to register. It can be in any web, but defaults to the Users web.
- Set REGISTERTOPIC = Unprocessed Registrations
- Use this to define where to log the bulk registration process. It will be saved to the Users web.
- Set LOGTOPIC = Unprocessed Registrations Log
- Set this to 1 to make the bulk registration overwrite any existing user topics. By default, existing user topics are left alone.
- Set OVERWRITEHOMETOPICS = 0
The user table
This table is a template for user data that will be written to the new user topics. If you stick to these basic fields you can just use the first example below.
If you want to write more data (like phone number or country) read the section Customizing user data
field is not included, then use the Bulk Reset Password
topic to assign new passwords.
If a password is included, it must be a valid password (> minimum length, etc.)
The following should be inserted into your Unprocessed Registrations as a table. This is the most simple format:
| FirstName | LastName | Email | WikiName |
| Test | User | email@example.com | TestUser |
- Copy this text to your clipboard
- Click through and paste this on Unprocessed Registrations.
- Add and customize entries, save table. Note that the first row must not contain bolded entries, so don't apply any formatting.
- Return here
Customizing user data
You can write additional data to the new user topics. Do this by enhancing the user table with additional field names as table headers.
Any fields you define in this table will end up in the User's topic. If a form (such as User Form
) is attached to New User Template
then the data will go in as META:FIELDS, meaning that you can use SEARCH formfield constructs to search.
If you use the User Form
then ensure that it contains all the fields you define here. Otherwise they will disappear when the user edits their home topic!
LoginName - Required if the system is configured to
AllowLoginName (Commonly referred to as the User Name).
Email - If not provided, you must set a password, or password reset will not be possible.
Password - If not provided, set passwords later using Bulk Reset Password.
Confirm - If provided, it must match the
Password field. If missing, it will not be checked.
templatetopic - Template used when creating the User topic. If not provided, defaults to Users.New User Template, or System.New User Template.
AddToGroups - A comma-separated list of groups. When user is registered, they will be added to the listed groups. The groups must exist.
Customized table example
Make sure that the extra fields also appear on the User Form
| FirstName | LastName | Email | WikiName | AddToGroups | CustomFieldThis | SomeOtherRandomField | WhateverYouLike |
| Test | User | firstname.lastname@example.org | TestUser | MyGroup, DocGroup | A | B | C |
Topic does not exist
Topic will be created during registration run.
Related topics: Admin Tools Category